it’s only hair
when i announced that i was going to cut my hair, there was a lot of feedback. seriously, who knew y’all cared so much?
as promised, here are some before & after pics. mostly before, because i’m horrible at posting pictures of myself, and it’s much harder to hide my face when i’m showing off the short hair.that’s the long stuff!
i mean, i get that long hair is beautiful and difficult for some people to obtain, and therefore i’m a nut job for wanting to get rid of it all. totally understandable. i did enjoy having long hair. at least once a week a stranger would compliment me on my hair length, and the long braid was a very useful weapon (and fly-swatter) from time to time. however i find that most people don’t know what it’s actually like to experience long hair woes, so lemme give you a few of my gripes:
- burning the end of my braid on the gas stove was almost a weekly occurrence.
- discovering that i’d accidentally tucked my hair into my pants. awkward.
- hair getting stuck in the car door,
- … house door,
- … cupboard door.
- hair getting sat on by the person next to me.
- hair being used as a leash (yeah, that NEVER got annoying!)
- having to braid it every single night before going to bed.
- and my biggest complaint: never being able to wear it down because of the aforementioned consequences.
however, since i did this:
- wear my hair down
- put on my coat/sweaters/backpacks/camera bag painlessly. nothing getting stuck in zippers or underneath straps.
- wash my hair with the teeny tiniest amounts of shampoo…
- …and showers take like, A MINUTE!
- feel air on my neck?
- i stepped on the scale and was down 3lbs. woot!
- and mailing off the 24 inches of braid to be made into wigs, felt pretty fantastic too!
ps: hair done by my fabulous sister, desiree. she’s a stylist in niagara and i’ll hook you up if you’re looking for someone!
Entry filed under: goings-on.